I made these for Mr M yesterday and he loved them! They were lovely and light and tasted so good :-)
Makes: 12 (according to the recipe but I got 18 out of it!)
Cooking time: 20-25 mins
360g plain flour
370g caster sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
70g unsalted butter, melted
250g blueberries (I only had 150g and there were still plenty in each muffin)
1. Preheat the oven to 170C (325F/Gas Mark 3)
2. Put flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl and beat on slow speed with an electric whisk. (My electric whisk was broken so I mixed by hand and it was fine!)
3. Put buttermilk, egg and vanilla extract in a jug and mix to combine. Slowly pour into the flour mixture and beat until all the ingredients are incorporated.
4. Pour in the melted butter and beat until the butter has just been incorporated, then turn the electric whisk up to medium speed and beat until the dough is even and smooth (alternatively put some elbow grease into and beat by hand!)
5. Gently fold in the blueberries until evenly dispersed.
6. Spoon the mixture into paper cases and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 mins, or until golden brown. Leave the muffins to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.