|My little Sous Chef prepping the ingredients|
300g soft light brown sugar
300ml sunflower oil
300g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra to decorate
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
300g carrots, grated
100g shelled walnuts, chopped, plus extra to decorate
Cream Cheese Frosting
600g icing sugar
100g unsalted butter, at room temperature
250g cream cheese, cold
1. Preheat the oven to 170C and line bases of 3 20cm cake tins with greaseproof paper
2. Put sugar, eggs and oil in a bowl and beat until all the ingredients are well incorporated. Slowly add the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and vanilla extract and continue to beat until well mixed.
3. Stir in the grated carrots and walnuts by hand until they are evenly dispersed.
4. Prepare the mixture into the prepared tins and smooth over with a palette knife. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 mins, or until golden brown and the sponge bounces back when touched. Leave the cakes to cool slightly in the tins before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
5. Make the cream cheese frosting by beating the icing sugar and butter together until the mixture comes together and is well mixed. Add the cream cheese in one go and beat until it is completely incorporated. Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy but do not overbeat as it can quickly become runny.
6. When the cakes are cold, put one cake on a stand and spread about one-quarter of the cream cheese frosting over it with a palette knife. Place a second cake on top and repeat. Top with the last cake and spread the rest of the frosting over the top and sides. Finish with walnuts and a light sprinkling of cinnamon.